Job Title: Certified Medical Assistant
Department or Practice: Community Health Center
Location: Great Barrington, MA
Level/Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Position Type: Full-time, benefits eligible
The Medical Assistant is responsible for rooming patients and assisting physicians, Nurse Practitioners, LPNs and RNs at CHP’s Medical Practice site as requested. The Medical Assistant contributes to a work environment that is innovative, caring and collaborative and supports the mission and vision of CHP and compliance protocols. The position may require some weekends.
|Essential Duties and Responsibilities: other duties may be assigned|
- Welcomes and escorts patient to exam room and preps patient for visit
- Accurately obtains and records patient’s vital signs, weight, height, etc.
- Accurately completes documents related to patient visit (for insurance billing/follow up care)
- Assist providers with exams, diagnostic or therapeutic procedures as requested.
- Directs patients following office visits.
- May performs EKG’s on selected patients after appropriate training and competency training.
- Prepares laboratory request forms and ensures accurate labels and records on all specimens.
- May deliver specimens to designated areas.
- Retrieves lab results and x-ray reports etc. as needed.
- Performs patient intake to assist practitioner in directing patient care per written protocol.
- Communicates with outside agencies as directed by the practitioner.
- Retrieves x-ray reports as needed. Obtains results of lab and other diagnostic procedures when requested
- Cleans and restocks exam and treatment rooms as needed.
- Ensures follow-up booking and scheduling for patient as required by patient care plan.
- Accurately obtain information from patient’s to ensure patient is appropriately triaged per protocols.
- Answers patient’s call to ensure timely response to their issues.
- Cross Trained to provide backup Patient Services and Front Office Duties
- Changes /updates service profiles to accommodate practitioners scheduling needs.
- Pre-registers patient at time of appointment scheduling
- Answers, screens, and routes outside calls to appropriate areas.
- Supplies information to callers and records messages.
- Performs clerical duties as requested.
|Education and/or Experience:|
Massachusetts Medical Assistant Certification is required. Medical Office experience is a plus, Electronic record experience is a plus.
|Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies|
- Strong ability to multi-task and manage projects and personnel.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations;
- Works respectfully with staff.
- Responds promptly to customer needs;
- Solicits customer feedback to improve service;
- Responds to requests for service and assistance;
- Meets commitments and is punctual.
- Follows policies and procedures;
- Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time;
- Supports organization’s goals and values.
- Flexible: Willing to step in when needed and crossed trained for additional administration/dental coverage or other site management as needed.
- Must have medical protocols/competencies reviewed yearly by CHP’s Supervising RN or clinical trainer.
- CPR certified.
- Spanish speaking/Bilingual skills (nonessential but preferred)
- Strong ability to multi-task.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional client/patient situations.
- Responds promptly to patient needs.
- Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Meets commitments and is punctual; strong work ethic.
- Follows policies and procedures.
- Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time.
- Supports organization’s goals and values.
- Flexible: Willing to step in when needed and crossed trained for additional administration/medical reception coverage.
- Professional manner; approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position, managing difficult or emotional patient situations in a way that instills trust and respect.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality;
- Keeps emotions under control.
- Professional, welcoming, and pleasant personality.
- Consults CMO, Human Resource Director, COO or Practice Manager when dealing with Human Resources issues unrelated to clinical issues.
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
|Oral and Written Communication:|
- Responds well to questions.
- Takes careful and accurate notes.
- Follows up on messages and ensures delivery of messages.
- Composes/types letters if requested by administration.
S/he must have excellent communication skills, including the ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. S/he must possess the ability to have difficult conversations in such manor where the employee feels valued, yet expectations are clear and consistent. Spanish speaking/Bilingual skills are a plus.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have excellent computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office. Electronic Medical Records Experience is a plus.
To apply for this position, please submit an application, cover letter and resumé to:
|Mail: Kelly Krok, Director, Human Resources |
Community Health Programs, Inc.
444 Stockbridge Rd. / P.O. Box 30
Great Barrington, MA 01230
Download PDF for more information.